In Dragon Age: Inquisition we will have the opportunity to explore both the Kingdom of Ferelden in southeast Thedas, and the Empire of Orlais, in the southwest. Orlais is ruled by Empress Celene, and famed for its rich culture and extravagance.
In the wonderfully crafted Dragon Age novel The Masked Empire by Bioware writer Patrick Weekes, the Empress sips some tea early in the book...
"It was an excellent tea, a Rivaini blend of cinnamon, ginger and cloves, sweetened with honey just as Celene liked."
Cinnamon, ginger and cloves are one of my favorite flavor combinations, especially for this time of year, and so I present a recipe for Rivaini Spice Cake with Whisky Infused Cream! This is an easy cake to make, and if you skip the Whisky infused cream (but why would you?) it's a non-sticky dessert that's possible to eat while gaming. It's great to pack for lunches, and keeps for a week though my family will down it in about two days. I will be baking one the night before Dragon Age releases, because it's also yummy for breakfast!
Rivaini Spice Cake
1 cup sugar
1 cup molasses
1 cup melted butter
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
2 TBSP boiling water
2 cups flour
1 cup boiling water
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- Using a large bowl, blend eggs, sugar, molasses, melted butter and spices.
- In a heat-proof container, dissolve the baking soda in the 2 tablespoons of boiling water, then stir into the mixture.
- Carefully stir in flour, then add one cup of boiling water and mix.
- Batter is really thin! Don't think you've done something wrong when it's thin.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Use a toothpick to check, but don't overbake.
- While still warm, sprinkle a bit of sugar over the cake.
Whisky Infused Cream
1 cup whipping cream
2 TBSP whisky
2 TBSP honey
- Whip cream to soft peaks.
- Add whisky and honey and blend in.
- Cut cake and add a dollop of cream to each serving.
What will you be eating when Inquisition releases? Stay tuned for ideas of quick and easy snacks, and my version of The Hanged Man Stew - crockpot style, so you can get back to gaming! Tomorrow though, we celebrate the Dragon Age Keep...